Sunday, June 19, 2005

The Tide that Binds

No, it's not a typ-o. I'm talking about Tide laundry soap.

You see, today is Father's Day, and we treated our daddy to a day out to the movies with a pal of his, and while he was gone the kids and I cleaned up around the house.
We washed clothes. We folded clothes and towels. We sorted more laundry. We took the sheets off the bed and washed them. We sorted socks. We are up to our eyeballs in clean laundry!

We laid around sometimes. We threw underwear and socks at each other while we were sorting. We had a quick lesson in folding t-shirts. Talked about the difference in hang-up clothes and folding clothes. We laughed at funny t-shirts and fell down laughing in the middle of the big piles of unfolded materials.

It seems like an ordinary day. But for us, it was an extraordinary day.
We CHOSE to slow down today.
We CHOSE to not accept an invitation to go swim.
We CHOSE not to invite someone over to play.
We CHOSE to do the mundane stuff that makes the house keep chugging along.

I take that kind of time for granted. I work so many long hours, and at the end of the day we race to this event or that party or this commitment or that obligation and all the "stuff" of the house goes undone. (Let me insert here that my husband does the majority of any cleaning or tidying that goes on in our house...I do the majority of pig-stying.)

Anyway, sometimes on a weekend when it seems like all I have done is clean or do errands or piddly stuff, I resent that my time was stolen from me. But not today. I felt like the entire day was ours...that we did some mundane little family stuff that's truly inconsequential at face value. But it was precious, slowed down time that wasn't packed full of getting somewhere or seeing someone or whatever it is that we seem to cram our days with.

No, today I am relaxing and enjoying the "TIDE" that binds.



(For complete honesty purposes, I have to confess that I don't use Tide in my laundry, but merely used it here to fit the turn of phrase. This is not intended as endorsement of the product nor have I received any monetary benefit from the use of the brand name.)

3 Comments:

At 7:31 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Excellent post, and what a great way to have spent the day! THanks for sharing that.

 
At 6:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quit writing blogs and come back to Himprov! Just kidding. I just read two or three of your blogs. Very well written. Oh, and by the way, I still haven't read Heart of the Arthist either. Hope you're doing well.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

You write so beautifully, whit. Love reading about your family and choices as about your journey through life!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home