Monday, June 20, 2005

Shared Dreams

I went in my son's room this morning to wake him up for the first day of Fine Arts Camp...
the lights were kinda dim, and he was sleeping so peacefully. I gently rubbed his back and told him it was time to get up.

He roused a little and with his eyes half shut, he smiled up at me and said,
"Mommy, I wish you could have been dreamin' with me."

I asked, "Oh really, was it a bad dream?"

"Oh no, it was a good dream, and I wish you could have dreamed it with me."

"Tell me about it, " I prompted.

"It was a mystery. There were two people who were gonna get married, but that wouldn't have made the world a better place. So you and daddy got married and made the world a better place."

I don't even have any other observations about the whole exchange...it speaks for itself. And I am so touched that he wanted me to share his sweet dream with him. What can a mother say to that? How do I explain to him that by sharing his sweet thoughts, that I did, in fact, dream it with him?

(And the world is a better place because my husband and I are married...our world is, anyway.)

3 Comments:

At 8:57 PM, Blogger Whitney said...

Note to self: Don't ever try to explain to a 6-yr-old that you were so moved by his early morning comments about a dream that you felt compelled to add them to your blog. After cake & soda, they will proceed to shed more light on the dream and shatter any fairy tale qualities there were about the whole thing. The dream didn't change...nor did the incident this morning...I just got more detail on how we made the world a better place, and let's just say the kid is a George Lucas prodigy. So much for mom & dad and family living happily ever after...it was more like "may the force be with you" by the time he was done with the details.

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

You are a wonderful mom, Whit, with a beautiful spirit, always willing to listen and learn..Great gifts.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Whit,

I miss your posts and comments. Please come back to the blogesphere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home