Thursday, September 22, 2005

In the event of an emergency...

Is it just me, or does it seem like there is one catastrophe after another on the news?
YIKES!!

We've had Katrina, the levees breaking, the JetBlue landing gear incident, earthquakes in SoCal and now Rita on its way. That doesn't even tap into the state and local news in everyone's area that is filled with ghastly horror both man-made and nature-made.

We sat down tonight and wrote out a list of supplies to go get at the store tomorrow so that we are prepared for the storms that are headed our way this weekend as Rita moves inland. We're not in danger of our life or limb -- our supplies will be more along the lines of creature comforts and sustenance until the power is restored should it be knocked out.

Ironically, I was talking to a newscaster in LA the other day during the course of my day, and he asked if we were evacuating. I laughed, saying that the only reason we'd evacuate here in DFW is if the air conditioner went out in our office building. Little did I know that we may experience a Cat 1 this weekend!

Regardless, because I have had a unique insight into how deeply affected even this area has been as a result of Katrina three weeks ago, I can't begin to fathom what kind of impact this storm may have that may actually arrive here! Katrina has affected media, pastors, energy companies, communications, civic and school...that's the short list. And that is just what was affected by being 'responders.' Now, in addition to the evacuees we are still hosting from Katrina, we are now being joined by the evacuees from the Southern part of our state, continuing to respond to the needs of those in Louisiana, and now bracing to take care of possible damage in our own backyards. I can't imagine how deeply that will further impact our community.

Not a complaint, not a whine. Just an observation that I don't think that we often have the opportunity to see the depth of effort that goes into preparing for and responding to something like this.

Now, back to my list. In putting it together, my husband and I realized how many areas of our household could be affected by damaged water lines or downed power lines. It made me realize how much 'automation' we take for granted. I realized how deeply ingrained modern conveniences are in our culture -- they are in our DNA! Our grocery list was struck to some pretty simple basics when we realized how much we rely on refrigeration and the microwave...so we switched modes to think "camping...what would we take camping."

I have no idea where I'm going with this. But rest assured, we are not freaked out. We're not terrified. We're not in a panic.

We lived in LA when the Northridge earthquake hit in 1994. Thank goodness we were prepared. Of course, there were days we felt foolish carrying walking shoes in the trunk, and bottled water. And of course all my friends from here thought I was crazy because of how I organized my dishes in the cabinets -- with all platewear on the wider, bottom shelves and plastic & pans on top. (But I'll tell you that I didn't lose one dish during that earthquake -- all my tupperware was scattered on the floor...but not a dish broken.)

Alright, that's the physical stuff. It's easy to make a 'to-do' list or pull one from the internet and check it off.

Now I need to think about my mental preparedness...
Am I ready for an earthquake?
Am I ready to be on a plane with faulty landing gear?
Am I ready?

6 Comments:

At 6:40 AM, Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

Don't you hate those stupid adds and anonymous messages!
anyway, I can feel your pain at the "readiness" thing. Having lived in FL for a few years, we have evacuated in the past. Also lived through a Cat 3 in NC once...it was weird, difficult, and potentially disastrous had it gone on longer than a few days. I can't even imagine people surviving for days in NO before rescue! My hubby is big on preparation, thankfully, so we have made it OK in the past. I am keeping the people of TX and LA in my prayers these days....makes us realize just how little control we really have, doesn't it?

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Bill said...

We've been through a few hurricanes here in NC, but the worst things in this part of the state are the winter snow/ice storms.

We had one a few years ago that knocked out the power for 5 or 6 days, and with evening temps in the teens, we had to get creative to stay warm...

Although, when it's that cold, keeping things (like food) cold, is not a problem.

I've discovered that despite how well you think you're prepared, you always learn as you go through it, something you could have done better.

Great post... and congrats on the Plat-stat!

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger amberdusk said...

Good luck to you!
I hope all goes well and your list is thorough.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Trevor Record said...

Oh, you've been attacked by the spam!

That plane with the faulty landing gear was so scary! I didn't want to watch when it was landing, I was sure it was going to collapse.

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Where oh where has Whit gone? We miss ya!

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Just wanted to drop by to say that I am thinking about you, and hope you are doing well.

Blessings,
BFC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home