Thursday, July 14, 2005

Everybody's Doing It

Call it jealousy...blog envy, if you will.
But I have found myself wanting to take on edgier topics on my blog thinking I might get a little more traffic.
After all, everyone else is doing it.

The fact of the matter is, though...
That's not me.
I am not comfortable doing it, and I would make myself a nervous wreck taking on the 'headlines' everyday and providing my own commentary. (Not that I don't have opinions, mind you, but everyone has those. Not everyone wants to know everyone else's opinion, though.)

Nope, I guess I will plod along noting the little insights and lessons that I learn in everyday life. The headlines will get their own play and will unfold as they will without my sticking my nose in it. And yes, policy and decisions and world events do and will continue to affect me -- and I like reading about them and seeing what other people have to say. But the things that will make a difference long term are how I deal with myself and the people around me. No one can make my personal journey through life except for me, and I would be remiss not to learn a lesson or two along the way and incorporate them.

I'm not on any big mission here to change the world, or influence public policy, or solve the problems of humanity. I'm not posting to convert anyone to Christianity, although if they ask, I will tell them what I believe. But again, that's not a decision or belief that I can impose on anyone -- have to believe it for yourself. I'm not even here to unburden my mind of what's troubling me! Every once in awhile though, I have a thought and think that it might, just perhaps, resonate with someone else. And if it doesn't..well, then, so be it. No harm, no foul.

So, if you are one of the 3-4 people who visit this site (and if there are more lurking, please post! I want to hear from you), just know that for the most part that I'm pretty conversational...don't get into terribly controversial stuff...am not looking to find myself or define my own identity...

I'm just looking to find the neat little gems that happen in life...admit when I blow it...be thankful when something fun happens...and pose the questions that seem to come up again and again.

(And just who is "everybody" anyway?)

3 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Blogger jenbeauty said...

HI...you described me and what I do in my blog basically. I sometimes might hit on the more serious but mainly it is about what is affecting me at the moment.

 
At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell you a secret. I have a blog started under a different name. I have not gone public with this blog yet. Only my immediate family knows about it so far. I am still working out the kinks, learning how to use different tools to enhance it, and attempting to arrive at a certain comfort level before I go public. When I have my coming out party, I'll invite all of you.

I am using a newspaper style format with this blog. By doing so, I hope to give myself plenty of room for expression. Some of my entries will be humorous (hopefully....used to be good at that kind of writing). Some will be of a serious nature like personal insights. (Oh, I might get real daring and do a political commentary on occasion.) Some entries will be purely informative. I even plan to throw in a recipe now and then in the Home and Garden section of my newspaper.

I want to develop a few characters (newspaper staff). Got one character started already. It is Mr. M., my canine companion. What a cool doggie he is.

I'd like to do profiles of deceased family members (my parents, grandparents, etc.), too, and record family lore for the benefit of my grandchildren which number 12 at this point. God love them anyway.

The hard part of blogging for me is commiting to the time it takes me in particular to do it. My brain isn't as nimble and quick as it had been in the past. Plus, when I write I spend simply too much time trying to perfect that one sentence. Perhaps I will throw caution to the wind soon, allow myself just so much time to get something down and then go at it fast and furious and see what happens.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Bill said...

I think about getting 'topical' every once in a while, but, I enjoy my blog and I'd not enjoy it if it ended up being some geo-political discussion forum.

It is tempting though, more 'edgy' posts, more traffic, more feedback... most of us like that feedback!!

I've decided to keep my political and world view comments to myself as I think I'm the only one they really matter to anyway!!

*I* enjoy your blog, just the way it is!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home